Monday, May 10, 2010

I'll tell you what I hate about Magnets ...

Kids differ a lot. Some like to throw sand in the eyes of others, some like puppets. It's just one of those things. But something is common across all kids, there is nothing like a - or several - good toy(s). Toys were clutch. Either G.I. John, Pogs, a remote control car or an easy bake oven, I mean whatever floats your boat man. Remember as a child getting invited to a birthday party and going to buy a gift? It was so fucking easy; just pick up a toy. Even when twenty kids were at the same party, there was enough variety to ensure there would be nineteen different toys; and a goldfish. Some asshole always had to buy a goldfish. It's not like that now. As I approach my twenties buying a gift is treacherous. I have no idea what other people want, and keeping it under $20 is a nightmare. As my psychiatrist tells me "chocolate won't solve all your problems".
All kids have also, for one reason or another, played with magnets. It just kind of happened. You don't want to admit it, I see you there, all high and mighty "Nooo not me, I never played with magnets, is this blogger some kind of fag lol?". But, macho as you may try and be, I know, and I am ok with it. There was just something about them. They would attract and repulse each other like it was nobody's business. They could find loose change and paper clips but not wood or insects. It was science on a stick. But with all that, came this hatred, a bitter feud. It was like the nice guy at the party, who brought an extra keg (or cake, depending on your age), but no one liked him anyway. Magnets just kind of carried this shit attitude about what they did. It was arrogance with a touch of laziness. Magnets always felt like they were better than kids. They power trains in Japan, they are made from a stone called magnetite(Not to be confused with Magnemite) and they had no time to be messing around with our little games. Magnets always had this passive look to them, as if dreaming to be somewhere else. Not like that batman toy. He was ready. Sure, batman could be out saving the world from pandemics and global warming, but no, he was right there, with M. Cudddlesworth, enjoying a cup of mocha, or beating up on a plastic version of M. Freeze; look,I don't judge you for what you did as a kid, quit judging me.
All I am saying is that magnets aren't toys. They do not provide entertainment and using them is not an activity. They were fun in a stubbing your toe while walking in the dark with a tub of gasoline, and then spilling said gasoline onto a lit match just under your feet, thus igniting a flame and bringing you down in a painful fire kind of way. But despite having the enjoyment value of head lice, all kids experimented with magnets.
But the hours spent laughing and playing...
It's hard to decipher, but to conclude, they are probably the most bipolar toy on the market.
Ha! All that, just for a pun! Your move reader, your move.

No comments:

Post a Comment