Friday, May 21, 2010

Motion Sensors are like a warm beer

Today's population goes absolutely balls up for technology. I mean look at the Ipad, it's a piece of shit, but still everyone has to go buy one so they can say "Lol I have an Ipad I am much more intellect than you". What used to be a competition in lawn mowing and hedge trimming between neighbors has moved to a feat of who can buy the newest expensive gadget first. Speaking of which, I hate people who go through two or more cellphones a year, just because one becomes "outdated".
Businesses are also competitive. They have to attract people away from similar sellers to their own company. Fine, makes sense. But what used to be achieved through pricing and customer service is now done, in large part, with gadgets (real time chat with experts, express checkout, escalators instead of stairs - for you skeptics who think I am lying). Some places now will just load up every inch of their building with "technological advancements".There are many examples, some that I can't think of but I am sure you can, but the one that gets me the most, is the Motion Sensor.
Motion sensors are like a warm beer: looks cool from a distance but is utter disappointment in reality. Here is a short list to describe where Motion sensors should and shouldn't be. For readability purposes, I have uploaded it as a picture.
It's just ridiculous. Like yeah, Motion sensors are cool, I mean, a lot of old people like the WII, so they must be good for something. But to put them everywhere in our lives for "our convenience" is bush league. It's not so much the actual product that bugs me, but the demand.
"Oh I know, let's make that a motion sensor, that way people won't have to press anything for water"
"And let's make the monitor a motion sensor to, so that way every time someone walks by it, we can show our add!" (this usually doesn't work since it takes a split second to reboot and when it is displayed the guy has walked by).
I am not against technology, I think a lot of it is great. But god dammit has it ever made us lazy.
Oh, and as for you environmentalist that say the motion sensored lights are a sweet idea because they automatically turn off, how about we just teach our population to give two shits about anyone other than themselves and turn off the lights manually, like they did in the "goo' ole" 60's.
To conclude, let's stop buying ridiculous crap and save the little of our independent dignity that we still have left. Face.

1 comment: